Opening of the exhibition "Tadeusz Kościuszko. Price of freedom"
On Friday, at the Lithuanian Seimas, the Ambassador Urszula Doroszewska and Deputy Chairman of the Lithuanian Seimas Irena Šiaulienė opened the exhibition titled "Tadeusz Kosciuszko. Price of freedom".
The Ambassador reminded the audience that Tadeusz Kosciuszko "loved freedom and national independence and was able to defend it by creating Polish-Lithuanian military forces under very difficult conditions. He was the leader who could win the battle. And finally he was the creator of the last legal act of the Commonwealth of the Two Nations, who planned to give the peasants their personal freedom as well as make them citizens. " "It is great that the exhibition is taking place in a place so symbolic for Lithuania - in the Parliament, which survived its heroic days in January 1991, because the courage and freedom of spirit were present here," she emphasized.
The exhibition is organized upon the initiative of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Vilnius and the Polish Institute in Vilnius and commissioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland.
At the exhibition we will see pictures of Tadeusz Kosciuszko himself at various moments of his life, photographs of places connected with him, his friends, and his memorabilia. We will also find the most important facts from Tadeusz Kosciuszko's life - the exhibition presents him as a soldier, politician, hero, but also as a private citizen. One of the exhibition panels presents, among others, the Tadeusz Kosciuszko’s appeal to the Lithuanians and to the Order Committee of Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
The Ambassador Urszula Doroszewska and the Director of the Polish Institute in Vilnius Marcin Łapczyński also took part in the scientific conference, followed by the discussion on General Tadeusz Kosciuszko, organized by the Lithuanian Royal Union of Nobility and opened by Chairman of the Lithuanian Seimas Viktoras Pranckietis.
The exposition "Tadeusz Kościuszko. Price of Freedom " is one of many projects has been implemented since the beginning of this year in Lithuania by the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Vilnius and the Polish Institute in Vilnius; it is has been prepared to commemorate the Kościuszko Year.
We would like to warmly invite you to join us for the following events:
• 15 October 2017 – Main celebration:
• 11.30 – Holy Mass for the intentions of General T. Kosciuszko and all defenders of Lithuanian independence, Church of St Peter and St Paul in Vilnius (Antakalnio 1, Vilnius)
• 12.30 - Parade "For your freedom and ours!" (T. Kosciuškos street - T. Vrublevskio street - Gedimino street - Nepriklausomybės square near the Lithuanian Seimas)
• 13.30 - Ceremony in honor of T. Kościuszko (Nepriklausomybės square, Gedimino 53, Vilnius), attended by state and ecclesiastical authorities, members of the diplomatic corps with Ambassador Ursula Doroszewska and Polish Institute director Marcin Łapczyński, representatives of social organizations and army.
• October 18, 2017, 18.00 - The Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania will host an evening commemorating General Tadeusz Kościuszko, which will include a lecture by Dr V. Rakutis, a concert of music and a screening of the Polish movie “The Oath by Tadeusz Kościuszko on Krakow's Market Square on March 24, 1794”.
Organizers of the event: The Lithuanian Royal Nobility Association, Lithuanian Institute of History, Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Vilnius, Polish Institute in Vilnius, Lithuanian Seimas, Ministry of National Defense, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lithuanian Army, Association of Lithuanian Riflemen, Military Club
Source: Polish Embassy in Lithuania